Back on the sweet potato bang wagon. I have to say, sweet potatoes, dates and chocolate goes very well together. Ever since I’ve made my sweet potato chocolate cake, these three ingredients have been my favourite combination.
Last week, Mayver’s products were on half price at Coles. I go all Singaporean when things go half price and I bought a few bottles of Tahini and peanut butter to be used in my baking. Today, I’ve decided to experiment on sweet potato tahini brownies. The recipe is very similar to my sweet potato chocolate cake except that I’ve added Tahini. Oh and did I also mention that it is gluten free as well? The Tahini added an extra moisture to the brownies and they turned out absolutely delicious! Yum!
- 200g sweet potato (Kumara), peeled and cut into cubes
- 200g pitted dates
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 120g almond meal
- 80g cocoa powder
- 120g Mayver’s unhulled tahini spread
- 100g honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
Preparation time: 30min
Baking time: 30min or when the skewer comes out clean
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Lightly grease and prepare a 21cm square cake pan
- Steam the sweet potato for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the date in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside to soak for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Place the sweet potato, date, honey, vanilla essence, tahini and eggs in the food processor and process it until smooth
- Add in the almond meal, cocoa powder and baking powder into the mixture and fold it until uniform
- Spoon the mixture evenly into a lightly greased cake pan and cook for 30 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean
- Leave it to cool completely