It has been a while since I’ve posted any recipes. For the past few weeks I’ve been working on a new website to sell my cakes and cookies online so it’s going to be an exciting new start for me! Also, I’ve been trying to improve my photography skills and work on food styling – gosh it is quite a challenge and I look ridiculous standing on chairs, squatting, playing around with props just to get the perfect shot haha. After multiple attempts – finally a few good shots!
So the recipe for the day is cornflake cookies! This is an adaptation from my previous post on almond cornflake cookie. I’m still obsessed in trying to recreate the cornflake cookies sold in Bengawan Solo but this is good enough to satisfy me!
This cookie is really simple to make. All you need is flour, cornflakes, sugar, butter, eggs and bicarbonate soda. The first thing to do is to make sure that your butter is at room temperature. This can be struggle during winter as it takes forever for the butter to soften, so I usually pop the butter into the microwave for 30-40sec just to soften it a little before creaming it with sugar.
While creaming the butter together with the sugar, use a food processor and process the cornflakes into tiny bits. This gives the cookie the extra crunchy texture.
Once the butter and sugar has been creamed to a light and fluffy texture, beat in two egg yolks and the vanilla essence. After that, sieve the flour and bicarbonate soda into the mixture and add in the processed cornflake.
This recipe is really simple that it only takes 10min to prepare the cookie dough. Remember to leave the cookie dough in the refrigerator for at least an hour but preferably overnight (aged cookie dough tastes better). Once the cookie dough is done, take it out and roll into little bite-sized cookies!
Preparation time: 10min
Baking time: 10min or when the cookie turns brown
Nutrition per cookie
*One batch makes about 100 cookies (7g each)
- 100g plain flour
- 200g cornflakes
- 140g unsalted butter (softened to room temperature)
- 120g caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees (convectional oven)
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Using a food processor, process the cornflakes into tiny bits
- Beat in 2 egg yolks and vanilla essence
- Sieve the flour and bicarbonate soda into the mixture
- Add in the cornflakes
- Mix well until a cookie dough forms
- Cling wrap the cookie dough and leave it to rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour or overnight
- Roll the cookie dough out and using a cookie cutter, cut out little shapes and place it onto a baking tray
- Leave it to bake for about 10min or when the cookie turns golden brown
My friends loved it so much that they ate half of it the moment it came out of the oven!