The classic flourless chocolate cake! One of my favourites to make because it is moist and fluffy at the same time. I love decorating my cakes with fresh strawberries and since they are in season now, I definitely made full use of it. I didn’t get a chance to take any photos of the cake slices because it was meant for a house warming party. But before the end of the party, that cake was gone – says a lot about how delicious it was!
- 85g nuttelex (or unsalted butter)
- 85g dark chocolate (I used Lindt 90% dark)
- 60g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp kahlua
- 3 eggs seperated
- 85g almond meal
- 1 pinch of salt
- 50g dark chocolate (70% Lindt dark)
- 1 punnet fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Grease a 18cm cake tin
- Melt the chocolate and nuttelex/butter in a bowl over a pan of hot water, remove from the heat, stir in the kahlua and leave to cool
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar in a large bowl until pale and thick
- Fold the whisked egg yolks and almond meal into the chocolate
- In a separate bowl, with a clean whisk, beat the whites until they reach a soft peak
- Stir a spoonful of the whites into the chocolate mix, then carefully fold in the rest of them in 2 additions.
- Spoon in half of the mixture into the prepared tin
- Bake for 30 minutes until the skewer comes out clean
- Leave to cool in the tin slightly before releasing it, then place on a rack to cool completely
- Melt 50g of dark chocolate in the microwave and then spread the melted chocolate over the cooled cake
- Slice the strawberries into half and arrange them over the cake
There you have it! The classic flourless chocolate cake!