Another Donna Hay recipe – I am obviously obsessed about it. I’ve been picking out recipes to try every week. The original recipe for this was a chocolate swirl scone roll. Instead of using chocolate chips, I’ve decided to use Nutella instead because who doesn’t love Nutella?
I actually tried this recipe twice. The first time I really struggled with the texture of the dough – it was extremely sticky and I couldn’t roll it properly without adding more flour. Also, I was very greedy with the chocolate and it ended up more like a Nutella stuffed scone than a Nutella swirl scone.
My second attempt with the scone roll was a success. I added more flour to the dough and placed the dough on the floured surface and using a rolling pin (remember to lightly flour the pin), I rolled it out once – making sure that it’s almost like a rectangular shape about 1cm in height. I then used a butter knife and evenly spread the Nutella across it. I was less greedy this time so I used about 3 heaped table spoons of Nutella (maybe still greedy but definitely not as bad as the first time). I then rolled it up and placed it in a silicon loaf pan, brushed milk across the surface and placed it into the oven. This loaf tasted divine fresh from the oven – It was a crispy golden brown crust with warm melted Nutella! Absolutely delicious!
- 240g self-raising flour sifted (plus some extra to flour the surface and rolling pin)
- 55g caster sugar
- 40g cold butter
- 125ml milk (plus extra for brushing)
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 100g Nutella
Preparation time: 15 min
Baking time: 15 min
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Prepare a 19cm x 9cm loaf tin lined with baking paper or a silicon loaf pan
- Place the flour and sugar in a bowl and mix to combine
- Add the butter and use your fingertips to rub it into the flour mixture and lift it up as you go to aerate the mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make sure not to over rub
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk
- Use a butter knife to gradually mix the milk into the flour mixture until just combined. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently bring the dough together. Roll out to a rectangle.
- Using a butter knife, spread the Nutella across the dough and roll up to enclose
- Place in a loaf tin. Brush with extra milk and bake for 25–30 minutes or until golden brown
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn out on to a wire rack to cool. Slice to serve
There you have it! Nutella swirl scone roll.