I made pavlova for a party on ANZAC Day and had six egg yolks left over from it. Since my uncle passed me a bunch of limes from his garden, I thought why not make a key lime pie.
Key lime pies are super easy to make and almost fool proof. All you need is digestive biscuits or graham crackers, butter, honey, lime, condensed milk and egg yolks. I’ve always loved the sweet and sour combination of this dessert. The sour punch from the lime makes it refreshing and combined with freshly made whipped cream – pure divine.
I was very impressed when the pie was done that I went to buy flowers specially for the photo shoot. Thank goodness my housemate wasn’t at home when I was taking the photos because I looked absolutely insane lying on the ground, climbing onto the chair, squatting just for the perfect shot. When I was done with my crazy photo shoot, digging into the pie was such a treat! I had to control myself to one slice but I kept licking the plate and knife and secretly hoping that bits and pieces of the pie will drop off as I sliced through it. The story of my life.
Nutrition per slice (serves 12)
Ingredients for the crust
- 18 pieces of digestive biscuit
- 50g unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 tbsp honey
Ingredients for the filling
- 1 can of condensed milk (397g)
- 6 medium egg yolks
- 3/4 cup of freshly squeezed lime juice (8-10 limes)
- 1 tbsp lime zest
Ingredients for the cream
- 300ml heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 40g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Grease a 25cm pie pan
- Finely crush your biscuits and, in a bowl, stir to combine with the butter and honey
- Pour the crumb mixture into the pie plate and evenly press to form a crust on the bottom and the sides
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool
- Add the condensed milk, egg yolks, lime juice and zest to a large bowl and mix thoroughly
- Pour into the prepared pie crust then bake for 15 minutes, or until set
- Allow to cool then refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight
- To prepare the whipped cream, using a whisk, whip the heavy cream, vanilla essence and caster sugar together until stiff peaks
- Using a spatula, evenly spread the whipped cream on top of the pie and garnish with additional lime zest, if desired. Slice and serve!