Tray bakes are one of my favourite desserts to make. These bite sized slices are perfect for any occasion. I made this salted caramel chocolate slice specially for ANZAC day. It’s my own twist to spice up the traditional ANZAC day cookie.
For the base, I used my ANZAC day cookie recipe and spread it across a square pan. The good thing about making the base is that it requires no baking equipment except for a mixing bowl, measuring cup and a weighing scale – saves me from loads of washing.
Nutrition per slice (serves 30)
Ingredients for the base
- 150g plain flour
- 60g desiccated coconut
- 90g rolled oats
- 80g brown sugar
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 0.5 tsp bicarbonate soda mixed with 1.5 tbs boiling water
- 150ml grapeseed oil
Ingredients for the salted caramel
- 80ml water
- 250g caster sugar
- 120g double cream
- 15g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp vanilla essence
Ingredients for the chocolate ganche
- 400g dark chocolate – I used Lindt 70% dark
- 150ml full cream milk
- 15g unsalted butter
Preparation time: 30 min
Baking time: 20-25min or when the base turns golden brown
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees
- Line an 8 inch square pan with baking paper
- Place the flour, coconut, rolled oats and combined sugar in a large bowl and stir with a wooden spoon to combine
- Combine 1.5 tablespoon of boiling water and bicarbonate soda in a small bowl. Mix it with the grapeseed oil, maple syrup and dry ingredients together
- Roll it out onto the square pan and place it into the oven to bake for 20-25min or until the base turns brown
- Once the base is done, leave it out to cool
- While the base is cooling, Dissolve 250g of caster sugar into 80ml water
- Place it in a cooking pan and heat it over a small flame until the mixture turns golden brown – takes about 4 to 5min
- Remove it from the heat and add in the double cream, vanilla essence, butter and salt. Mix it well.
- Leave it to cool
- Once the salted caramel has cooled down, pour it over the cooled cookie base and leave it in the fridge to cool even further.
- To prepare the chocolate ganache, chop up 400g of dark chocolate into small pieces
- Heat up 150ml of milk and 15g of butter in a sauce pan and remove it from the heat before it starts to boil
- Pour the heated milk mixture over the dark chocolate pieces and using a wooden spoon, mix it well until all the chocolate has melted.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the salted caramel and leave it to cool for at least four hours.