There are many different kinds of brownies – fudgy brownies, the dense rich brownies (check out my rich chocolate brownie cake for the recipe), the chewy brownie and the cakey brownie. Regardless of which you prefer, a good brownie recipe is a must-have for every single baker.
Today I’ll be sharing with you my classic cakey brownie. It requires the use of sour cream which makes the cake light and fluffy. One of my favourite things to do is to warm up my brownies and serve it with vanilla ice cream! Yum!
I made this cake twice – one with chocolate chips on top and one without it. There is a difference in the texture of the cake after leaving it in the fridge overnight (as shown in the picture below). The cake becomes denser and the taste more flavourful. Hence it is always better to make brownies a day ahead.
A few tips about brownies:
- They get better with age – so always make them a day ahead
- Let them cool completely in the pan before taking it out as they break easily when hot
- Use very good chocolate – don’t skim on this, a good chocolate is what makes or breaks the brownie. I always use Lindt 90% dark for all my chocolate baking recipes.
Nutrition per brownie with walnuts (serves 12)
Ingredients for the cake
- 125g unsalted butter
- 125 dark chocolate melted – I used Lindt 90% dark
- 150g caster sugar
- 75g plain flour
- 30g cacao powder
- 3 large eggs
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
- 65g sour cream
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 50g walnuts (optional)
Preparation time: 15 min
Baking time: 40min or when the skewer comes out clean
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees
- Grease a 20-25cm cake tin for the brownie cake
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave oven in 30s bursts. Prepare the dry ingredients and sour cream
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition
- Gradually sift in the flour, cocao powder and baking powder. Alternating with the sour cream. Folding until well combined
- Fold in the chocolate and salt and mix it well
- Fold the walnuts in
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and add chocolate chips on top (optional)
- Place it in the oven to bake for 40min or when the skewer turns out clean
There you have it! Delicious moist brownie cake that is perfect for any occasion!